Hollywood’s Most Authentic Brand
BrandMakerNews officially nominates Regina King for the most authentic brand award.
The actress/mommy/philanthropist has a realness about her that jumps off the screen and makes you a part of whatever story she’s sharing at the moment. Regardless of whether she’s on television or the big screen, you feel connected to her. She reminds you of someone you know and love. She’s like family.
In each on-screen performance, King’s passion for acting shines through. Even though it’s been more than 25 years since she first started out as a childhood actress on 227, she continues to throw herself into every role as if she’s proving herself all over again. The diversity of her roles in movies such as Ray, Jerry Maguire, Enemy of the State, and This Christmas shows just how much Regina King has mastered her craft over the years.
Aside from her film accomplishments, King currently stars as a detective on TNT’s new hit show, Southland. She also continues to be the voice of the two main characters on the Adult Swim show, The Boondocks. Needless to say, this woman puts in work. She gets things done on her own terms, and carries herself with strength and dignity every step of the way.
We wanted to find out how Regina King remained authentic throughout the years, while evolving into such a successful actress. After digging deep into a few of her previous interviews, we’ve found success secrets worth sharing.
Regina King’s Secrets to Success and Authenticity:
1. Have a strong foundation. “For me, it starts off with having an incredible mother first off, and just always having faith that God always has the best thing in store for me.”
2. Keep evolving and stay enthusiastic about your craft. “I’ve been working for 25 plus years. I’m 39 years old and it’s just the beginning.”
3. Make decisions based on your priorities in life. “Very early on my priorities were just in order. I had a child at 25, which is young for this day in age. I think that played a big part in it, because he became the most important thing and the only thing. This is the reason why I live, this is why I breathe every day. And, it made it easy to make a lot of decisions just because I’m a mom.”
4. Let your strength shine through. “I think any one that I would play would have a strong personality because that’s just me. There is that part of me that feels like if I was to take myself out of being an actress and make myself an audience member I wouldn’t have an interest in seeing weak women.”
5. Stay true to yourself. “This is the type of business where you will hear no more than you hear yes. Don’t conform because everyone says you need to be a size two because the camera puts 10 pounds on you. The camera does put 10 pounds on you, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that you need to be a size two in order to be successful.”
6. Speak up, but back up your complaints with reason. “You get more done not being a loudmouth. You get more done if you say, ‘you know, I don’t feel this is right,’ but have a reason behind it, not just ‘no, I don’t want to do it.’ You know what I mean, but let them know and have an alternative.”
Regina King is truly the most authentic brand. When King is not working her day job, she’s busy being “Mom” to her teenage son, and the lovely lady on the arm of actor, Malcolm-Jamal Warner. She also dedicates her time to meaningful causes such as Black Girls Rock, the Obama campaign, and as coach of a cheerleading squad in her hometown.
Even with all the success she’s earned throughout the years, Regina King is still the realest actress Hollywood has ever known.