Morgan Freeman: A Relentless Pursuit
As one of the most brilliant actors of our time, Morgan Freeman often makes acting look easy, but he actually spent several decades preparing for his chance at success. Despite knowing he wanted to be an actor ever since he first performed in a school play at age nine, Morgan Freeman didn’t land his first big Hollywood role until he was almost 50 years old.
Freeman is proof that your big break does not always come when you want it, but if you continue to perfect your craft, when it’s your time… it’s your time. As he releases new movies, year after year, it is hard to imagine that Hollywood once existed without him.
The persistence and wisdom that fueled Morgan Freeman’s long journey to the big screen can teach entrepreneurs all over the world how to relentlessly pursue a dream until it becomes real.
Here are success secrets from Morgan Freeman, to motivate you as you push to make all of your business dreams come true…
1. Keep dancing. “I always tell my kids if you lay down, people will step over you. But if you keep scrambling, if you keep going, someone will always, always give you a hand. Always. But you gotta keep dancing, you gotta keep your feet moving.”
2. Work with what you have. “As you grow in this business, you learn how to do more with less.”
3. Master the art of stillness. “It’s what I learn from the great actors that I work with. Stillness. That’s all and that’s the hardest thing. Learning how to be still, to really be still and let life happen – that stillness becomes a radiance.”
4. Challenge yourself, in order to live. “If you live a life of make-believe, your life isn’t worth anything until you do something that does challenge your reality. And to me, sailing the open ocean is a real challenge, because it’s life or death.”
5. Do it for the love. “Acting means living, it’s all I do and all I’m good at. If I weren’t getting paid well, I would still be acting in a small troupe somewhere. The reason actors, artists, writers have agents is because we’ll do it for nothing. That’s a basic fact – you gotta do it.”
6. Never throw in the towel. “The best way to guarantee a loss is to quit.”
7. Learn to lead. “I’m not intimidated by lead roles. I’m better in them. I don’t feel pressure. I feel released at times like that. That’s what I’m born to do.”
8. Know your options and pick a lane. “Somewhere back there I really came to the conclusion in my mind that the difference between acting and stardom was major. And that if you become a star, people are going to go to see you. If you remain an actor, they’re going to go and see the story you’re in.”
9. Vet offers carefully. “You couldn’t possibly try to entertain all of the people who seem to be offering you entertainment. Because most of them want some compensation for it.”
10. Follow your internal compass. “I knew at an early age I wanted to act. Acting was always easy for me. I don’t believe in predestination, but I do believe that once you get wherever it is you are going, that is where you were going to be.”
Special thanks to Morgan Freeman for reminding entrepreneurs like us to stay relentless in our pursuit of success. His story is a shining example of just how far hard work and persistence can take us. He certainly does “gravitate towards gravitas.” Kudos to his continued success.
Stay relentless as you build the business of your dreams.